sábado, 8 de octubre de 2011

Development Day 88: That Post Gave Me a Feeling

I feel bad. I can't believe that it's been 88 days since I started this game, and it's not even Alpha.
This is because I'm a student, I'm busy with school, homeworks, mid-day chores, hanging with my friends; but most of all it's because I'm lazy. Lazy as heck. In total, I've skipped like two months and a half of work because of lazyness and when I work I don't work more than half-hour.

But yesterday and today, I worked hard. And I can't believe it was fun!
It feels pretty good when your project goes on and gets bigger and bigger :)
So, if you're a Developer (and even if you're not!) give more effort at the projects you're working or you'll work at. Don't say: "When I get older I will....." NO!
Today, we have something called: "Internet", it can show you anything, ANYTHING you want to do. There's a tutorial for everything! I mean it!
It doesn't matter if you're 10 years old, you can be (let's say) a musician. In places like Google or YouTube, you are able to find thousands and millions of ways to create your own songs!
Maybe you may end like the next big musician of the time, I don't know.

No one likes to grow up and say: "I wish I have done this......".
The only frontier is the lazyness, that's the only frontier......


Uh.... Well....
NOW BACK TO OONI!

I havent done too much, but significant changes in Ooni.

Several days ago, I talked about introducing a new fruit that will be able to destroy Flais. In fact, there is going to be 2. But fist I would like to talk about the Tamarind:


What does this thing do? Magic.
No, this is a new power-up that will be able to shoot bullets. The player won't need to press any button to shoot, Ooni will automatically shoot bullets with a time rate of 2 bullets per second.
I've been working hard on this fruit, specially because I had troubles at the time rate of the bullets and lots of bugs as seen on my previous post.

Anyway, this is pretty much how it looks in the game.


As you can see the Tamarind and all the other fruits emit a ring with their color. This makes it look a little better and more notable.



When the player reaches any fruit, Ooni will acquire the color and the power-up of the fruit, but it will only last for 10 seconds!



The Tamarind will shoot immediately. It will shoot (as I said) 2 bullets per second, or 19 bullets in 10 seconds.



As you can see, the Tamarind's bullets can destroy the Flais when they touch them.
See? Magic!
Uhmm, yeah. I think that's all for now for the Tamarind...

Well, I have also experienced troubles with the variables for the achievements. The achievements only worked if the game was loaded with the achievements viewer as the first room of the game, or else it crashed.
I have already fixed that. The game now has a loader that prepares all the variables in order to run the game properly, and it will also load the player's saved data. But not now.


That is how it looks now. It places a random fruit in the lower right corner that moves.
I know that it is an ugly black rectange, but it takes less than a second to load it all.
It will also be removed at the final release of the game.


I've got a new Level Designer, Jonathan Leek.
He has been working on some stages, and they're so damn hard to clear!
He just sent me 3 in order to know if he's doing his job properly, and he is!

This is what the mail said:

Here are the finished levels so far; I have a handful that are still drafts; I'll send them to you when they're cleaned up a bit. 

As you can tell, I'm not the greatest artist, so I used notations to try to make things as clear as possible.

Squares with F inside- falling blocks
Squares with x inside- destructible blocks
Filled in squares- Crates
Circles with arrows- Flais with arrows showing movement
Circles with A's inside- Aviator flai
Powerups are shown by their initial i.e; B is a banana, T is a Tamarind, etc.

Let me know what you think, if you have anyquestions, etc.

Jon


Take a look, and click to expand.



 I've been taking a close look to them and they're really cool! I've also started making this one real:


This is how it looks:





I know that the stage doesn't look really stetical (and by that, I mean: "good-looking"), but it's my fault, I will change it later :)
Uh, yes, I added spikes :P


So, yes. Today was a day of lots of work, and I'm happy about it :)   <----See?
I know that Ooni has been growing slowly and it's because I'm lazy.
But I can tell that if I keep working like today, the mechanics of the game are almost done, so the Alpha version of the game may come between one and two weeks! And if I keep like this the Final Release may be done before Christmas! :D

I hope you took seriously what I said at the beginning of the post. You only live once and no one would like to die as a Mr. Nobody. Do whatever you want without affecting other people and shoot for your dreams and that...

Ehm... I have recently made the Ooni's IndieDB Blog, the posts are pretty much the same but you'll be notified when a new one comes out, and IndieDB is a great place to discover and support new projects, seriously, take a look :)

Hah, so thanks for reading such a long post, in fact, the longest I've ever writen about any of my projects. So, again, thanks :)
And I want to make this post even longer, so here's a pic of Ooni in my shitty $30 cellphone...


LOL!
Have a nice day, and come back eventually :)

Oh! I forgot, expect a new fruit tomorrow :D

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario